Monday, May 11, 2009

We Love You, Buddy!

We received some really sad news on Friday. Ben's parents dog, Buddy passed away. Yesterday we went to Ben's parents house and we weren't sure how we were going to break the news to Carter (remember how devastated he was about his fish?) We decided to tell him once he started asking questions. He went almost the entire day without asking where Buddy was. Then all the sudden we were going to play outside and there came the question we were waiting for..."Where's Buddy?" We told him that Buddy died and he was in Heaven with the Angels. He had lots of questions...why?, when's he coming back?, go get him...I'm not quiet sure that Carter fully understands that Buddy isn't coming back. He kept saying, "He'll be back tomorrow...he'll be just fine." We let him know that Buddy wasn't coming back. But, I don't think he fully gets it yet. Poor guy.

Then this morning Carter said he saw Buddy playing on the mountain. He said Buddy was on the mountain...not in the clouds (Heaven). He said astronauts go in the sky...Buddy can't go in the sky...it's not for dogs....it's for space shuttles...Buddy will get hurt (Carter is VERY literal lately). He said Buddy was having fun playing in the rivers (this is what Pa told Carter). I think he had a dream about Buddy...I also think this is a nice way to think of where Buddy is at now.

We're going to frame one of the pictures of Carter and Buddy to put in Carter's room. We told Carter that he can look at his picture of him and Buddy whenever he misses him. Buddy is missed very very much...we all loved him so much!

Here are some of the pictures I took of Carter with his Best Pal, Buddy over the years. As always you can click on the picture to enlarge it.

1 comments:

Mimi said...

I just now opened your site...what a lovel tribute to Buddy. The pictures of Carter and his big ol' furry friend are so sweet and of course, brought Mimi to tears. I know it may sound silly, but pets and grandchildren have much in common...always happy to see you, always willing to play with you, always loving. Perhaps this is why Carter and Buddy were such great friends. Love, Mimi

Post a Comment